Scholarships made possible by a grant from the Herbert H. Kohl Charities Foundation will allow 40 Janesville middle school (6th-8th grade) students to take an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington DC with Boys & Girls Club of Janesville (BGCJ) this summer. Interested students must submit a scholarship application to Boys & Girls Club of Janesville no later than 6:00 pm on Friday, March 13; and meet all additional requirements for the trip.
What does the student need to do?
- Complete the application form;
- Get a letter of recommendation;
- These need be filled out by day school staff (ex. a teacher), Club staff (ex. the Club Manager) or community members (ex. coach or religious leader).
- They should NOT be filled out by family members.
- Turn everything in on or before Friday, March 13 (6:00 pm) to Boys & Girls Club, 200 West Court Street in Janesville.
- Applications will be reviewed by a team
- You will be notified by phone if you are one of the lucky 40 members that will be going to Washington, D.C. by April 15, 2020.
- 10 alternates (5 male; 5 female) will also be notified.
- Join Boys & Girls Club of Janesville and remain a member through Summer 2020 ($15 total cost of membership, provides afternoon access to the Club)
- It is the family’s responsibility to keep contact information (phone and email) current with the Boys & Girls Club. If it is not, the participant may risk losing his or her spot to an alternate
- Attend no fewer than six (6) weeks of “Career Launch” sessions through Boys & Girls Club of Janesville, to get to know other members going and the chaperones.
- Classes offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:00 pm, at BGCJ
- If these requirements are not met, the scholarship will be revoked and an alternate will be selected. Alternates must fulfil the same requirements
Application Deadline: Friday, March 13 at 6:00 pm
Check out the Washington DC Trip – Boys & Girls Club of Janesville Facebook group for pictures of previous trips.
On behalf of Boys & Girls Club of Janesville and Herb Kohl Philanthropies, we look forward to reviewing your child’s completed application packet!